Day 28 - Dressing Up & A Mental Break Down

**Note** To see how I made my Angry Bird cake & characters, go HERE. To read my P365 entry, continue on :)


Well, today was one giant emotional roller coaster!! It started off kinda crappy. I got up, eager to get back at my cake. I knew today could make or break me cuz it was time to cover the cake in fondant. It looked pretty easy online, but I had no clue if it would be like that.

I put it off a bit and decided to finish up my props - mainly the sling shot. And here is where things started to fail me. While trying to add the rubber band part of the sling shot, I broke one of the arms. Not a big deal I suppose - except that I had let it set up all night so it was more firm today. And I'm lazy enough that I didn't want to start from scratch with it (especially if the possibilities of me breaking it again were high, lol). So I wet down the two ends and "glued" them back together and set it aside hoping it would work.

I also settled on what to cover the cake with. Up until now, I've toyed with all sorts of ideas. Brown cover with grass on the top like THIS cake. Maybe just green like THIS cake. Blue like THIS one. Random colors like THIS one? It had me overwhelmed. But in the end, I decided to just cover the main cake in green and go from there. But first I needed more green & yellow, so hubby nicely went to the store for me to get more!

While he was gone, I started a new layout. I needed to get it done, and I figured that was as good a time as any. A while later, Tom showed back up and I went back to work. It was now or never, right?

And from here - things got to their worst. I flattened out the fondant and went to cover the cake. Almost instantly the edge started cracking and then pulling apart. Nothing I did helped. I freaked and took off the fondant, deciding to try again.

By now, the tears were already falling. I was in full on panic mode. I wasn't gonna be able to do this :(

Round two went about the same - cracks almost instantly. And don't get me started on how the corners would NOT cover properly (fyi: I have a square cake, not round). I was assured by many a video that covering a square cake was as simple as a round cake. Seeing my miserable attempt made me sure that I was just a failure at fondant cake covering :(

Hubby helped me calm down and convinced me that making a new cake (a round one) was worth a shot. I cleaned the butter cream frosting off the green fondant, stored it and went to work on the 2nd cake.

Fast forward to fondant covering attempt #3: I was scared out of my mind by now. It was night time and I was fast running out of options. I had joked in the beginning that if I sucked at the cake part, that I would just buy a cheap sheet cake from Walmart and put my birds & stuff on it. I really really didn't wanna do that!!

This go round, I used as little powdered sugar as I could so that the fondant wouldn't dry out (and thus crack on the edges of the cake). I also put a LOT of vegetable oil in it and warmed it in the microwave before I started so that it was as soft and as pliable as it could be. And guess what!? I covered that round cake like a fricking pro!!!! I mean - it was so easy! Square cake same as a round cake? Pishaw! Yeah right!!!!

And since I'm writing this AFTER the actual day, I can say that I stayed up until around 3am finishing most of the cake. I decided to add rocks to the bottom and those dang rocks took a while to make, lol. Plus I did Liam's name in wood. I wanted to put Happy Birthday somewhere, but that never happened. AND I successfully finished the sling shot (and I think it looked good) :D

Today's photo isn't actually about the cake (I'm saving those for my full cake process post). During one of the down times I had today (usually trying to get my layout finished) Liam came running out dressed up like this - and it made me laugh (and considering all the tears I shed - laughter felt great!!)



And before I finish up my mini-novel, I was able to finish my layout too!! I think it turned out way cute - and I'm kinda proud that I used pink (my least favorite color) on a boy layout and it doesn't come off as girly to me, lol :)


Full credits can be found by clicking on the image!

Whew!! Sorry so long! I wanted to get my journey all recorded. My first cake was challenging and an absolute blast! I can't wait for the party tomorrow and I can't wait till I get to make another fondant cake :D

XOXO! ~Jen

Comments